iPhone and iPad apps make great gifts: They're really affordable, can be selected according to the recipient's tastes (much less impersonal than a gift card), and they're easy and quick to send. Here's how to send the perfect iOS app to someone else.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open the App Store on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Alternatively, you could open up iTunes on your computer.
- Go to the app you want to send. (Not sure what to send? As with any gift, consider the person's interests, profession, needs, and so on. You can also use app recommendation services. Learn more: How to find the best iPhone or Android apps.)
- In the app's preview page, look to the top right on the iPad or the bottom of the page on an iPhone or iPod touch to find the "Gift This App" link.
- Log in with your Apple ID (your account for iTunes) and enter in your name, recipient's name, and recipient's email.
- You'll get a chance to review the app gift before buying it. Once you do, your account will be charged, the app will be sent to your gift recipient, and you'll get a receipt.
- If you don't have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, you can still buy an app for someone else in iTunes. Click the drop down arrow next to "Buy App" and select "Gift This App."
- Another way to give iOS apps to others is by giving an iTunes gift card. These allow the recipient to buy not just apps from the app store (for iPhone, iPad, and even Mac), but also music and other media.
What You Need
- an iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad) or iTunes installed on your computer