There's nothing like an unexpected earthquake followed by a hurricane to remind us to prepare for natural (as well as man-made) disasters. Besides the most important essentials you should keep in your disaster preparedness kit--food, water, clothing, and first aid supplies--tech accessories can help increase the odds that you stay connected and informed through any event. Here are some mobile accessories, gadgets, and apps worth investing in:
- Second battery for your laptop. (Make sure it's charged.)
- Second battery for your cell phone or a spare cell phone. (Also charged.)
- Car charger for your laptop and cell phone. Your car may be your only source of power. Several universal power adapters for wall, auto, and air can charge all your devices.
- Mobile hotspot for providing wireless Internet access to mutliple devices; hopefully the cellular provider's service will be up. Clear, Virgin Mobile, Verizon, and other wireless carriers offer pay-as-you-go or daily plans that would be ideal for just backup purposes.
- USB flash drive for keeping essential emergency documents like photos of your important belongings for insurance purposes, medical records, etc.
Set up tethering to allow your laptop to use your cell phone's data service as a backup as well.
Keep safe, everyone!