You've completed the first 5 steps to setting up your new laptop and while you might think you are good to go, there are a few details to take care of.
- Transfer files and emails that you saved from your old laptop. These should have been saved to CD, DVD or a portable hard drive.
- Install software and then connect any peripherals you will be using with your laptop. When you are on the road, it's not the time to discover that your mouse or external keyboard don't work properly.
- Order a 2nd battery for your laptop if you did not purchase an additional one with your laptop.
- Consider adding additional security options to your laptop. Items such as an external fingerprint reader, cable locking systems, audible alarm systems or tracking software can all be used together to protect your laptop.
- You have a variety of options at this point.
- Check out trials of new programs you want to learn more about.
- Buy a new laptop bag for your new laptop.
- Take care of your old laptop:
- Pass on to a friend or family member.
- Donate to a charity.
- Take advantage of the recycling program offered by laptop manufacturer.
- Set aside for future use in case of any problems with your new laptop. Remember to remove the battery after charging the laptop and before packing it safely.
If you missed the first steps to setting up a new laptop, you can review them here.