Get Started Working from Home or Working Remotely
By Melanie Pinola, About.com Guide
- Find a Work from Home Job/Become a Telecommuter
- Set Up Your Home Office or Virtual Office
- Work While Traveling or On the Go
- Stay Productive and Balance Work/Life
- Mobile Security Essentials: Protect Your Data and Devices
Find a Work from Home Job/Become a Telecommuter
Find out what it takes to become a telecommuter, the best places to find a telecommuting position, and the benefits of telework programs for employers. We'll guide you through the steps of setting up and negotiating a remote work arrangement.
- What is Telecommuting?
- How To Get a Work from Home Job
- How to Negotiate a Remote Work Arrangement
- Telecommuting Pros and Cons
- Best Jobs for Telecommuting
- Best Telecommuting Companies
- Benefits of Telecommuting for Employers
- Remote Workers vs Telecommuters vs Teleworkers
Set Up Your Home Office or Virtual Office
Your virtual office can be a fully-equipped, dedicated room in your home...or a simple setup involving little more than a laptop and the nearest flat surface. Here's some advice on creating the perfect working environment for your needs, whether you work at home or on the go.
- 3 Basic Technologies for Mobile Work
- Select the Right Internet Service for Your Home Office
- Speed Up Your Home Internet Access
- How To Set Up a Wireless Network
- 10 Gadgets to Organize Your Desk or Workspace
- Top Laptop Computer Stands
- 7 Free and Simple Ways to Green Your Home Office
- Troubleshoot VPN Connections
- Troubleshoot WiFi Problems
- Home Office Photo Galleries
- Computer Buying Advice & Reviews
Work While Traveling or On the Go
Whether you're a road warrior or just have to stay connected and productive while on the go, these resources and tips should help you work more effectively--and less stressfully--while working on the road. Welcome to your "anywhere office."
- 5 Ways to Access Your Files from Anywhere
- Stay Connected While Working on the Road
- Carry Everything Your Need on a Tiny USB Stick
- Top Hotels for Free Wi-Fi Internet Access
- How to Connect to a Hotel Wireless Network
- How to Make International Calls While Traveling
- Top 7 Travel Wi-Fi Routers
Stay Productive and Balance Work/Life
Here are our favorite tips and tricks for maintaining your productivity, using technology as a mobile worker, and trying to get to that work/life balance ideal.
- 8 Productivity Tips for Telecommuters
- Why You Need to Add a Second Monitor
- Learn Keyboard Shortcuts
- Work / Life Balance Tips & Techniques (About Job Search)
- Stress Management for Mobile Workers
- 3 Tips for Managing Information Overload
- Use Time Tracking Software to Get More Done
- 5 To Do List Strategies for Telecommuters & Mobile Workers
Mobile Security Essentials: Protect Your Data and Devices
Scary statistic: a laptop is stolen every 5 seconds in the US. When it comes to mobile work, there's no such thing as too much security. Find out how to best protect your mobile data and devices from theft, loss, and cybercrime.
- 7 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Gear and Data
- Install or Enable Remote Wipe on Your Smartphone Now
- Protect and Recover a Stolen Laptop with Anti-Theft Software
- Best Unlimited Online Backup Software
- Is Your Password Strong Enough?