Before you leave for any business trip, take the time to set up dial-up Internet access connections on your laptop for the locations you will be staying. Having dial-up Internet access can be a great benefit when Broadband or Wi-Fi is not available. While slower than other methods, a dial-up connection is better than no connection while on the road.
Time Required: Varies
- Click Start then Connect To and then Show All Connections.
- Select Create a New Connection.
- The New Connection Wizard begins and then click Next.
- Select Connect to the Internet and then Next.
- You will view a list of Network Connection Type options. Select Connect to the Internet then click Next.
- Select which method of connecting to the Internet - normally you will select Set up my connection manually. Click Next and then select Connect using a dial-up modem.
- Enter the name of your ISP and then click Next.
- Enter the dial-up access number and then click Next.
- Enter your User name and password as provided by your ISP.
- De-select Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this Computer.
- De-select Make this the default Internet connection.
- Click Next then click Finish.
- Create a list of available dial-up Internet access numbers for the locations you will be traveling to. Save these on your laptop or on an external storage device.
- Create multiple connections for different locations by copying the original in the Network Connections folder and rename each for the location and then modify the connection settings.
What You Need
- ISP provider who offers dial-up Internet access.
- Listing of available dial-up Internet access numbers.
- User name and password.