The Apple iPad is quickly gaining in popularity, including in office environments worldwide. So now more than ever, employees are looking for ways to access their office computers from this popular device. While there are several apps on the market with this purpose, I’ve highlighted the best ones available below. All of them share security, reliability and ease-of-use as key features that distinguish them from the rest.
1. LogMeIn Ignition ($29.99) - If you’re already familiar with LogMeIn, then using this remote access app will come as second nature. But even if you’ve never used LogMeIn, you will find it to be incredibly pleasant and intuitive. Once you log into your LogMeIn account through the app, you’ll see your remote computer’s desktop, and a toolbar with all the features available to you. From there, you can control the keyboard, command keys and all of the available features. You can also customize the tool’s controls. For example, you can choose whether a tap on the screen will be a left or right mouse click.
2. Wyse PocketCloud Pro ($14.99) - This app works on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. It also lets users access either Mac or PC remote computers. One of the great things about this app is that it works really well with an external keyboard, which is great for those who need to work on an iPad for an extended period of time. It is a light app that works very quickly and lets users find all of the features they need in no time. Another benefit of this app is that it lets you access more than one computer, so it’s possible to link it to both your office and home computer, for example.
3. GoToMyPC (free app but service starts at $9.99) - One of the main advantages of GoToMyPC is its user-friendly user interface, which translates beautifully to the iPad. All you need to use this app is located at the top of your screen, which you can tap and all of GoToMyPC’s features will appear. Like the desktop version, the iPad app comes with screen blanking, remote printing and the ability to easily transfer files between devices. It’s a secure app with various levels of authentication that ensure that only authorized users can log in.
4. Splashtop Remote Desktop ($2.99) - By far the fastest and most intuitive remote access app I’ve tried. For example, you just have to tap to click and tap and drag to drag and drop - showing that controls are exactly as users would expect them to be. Getting the on-screen keyboard is as easy as clicking a button at the bottom of the iPad screen, so there’s no need to spend time searching the entire app for the keyboard. While it’s not as features-rich as LogMeIn Ignition, at $2.99, it is a useful tool for basic remote access from the iPad.
5. TeamViewer HD (free) - Much like its desktop counterpart, the iPad app works behind firewalls, making it easy to access your office computer remotely. It also has many of the same features, which go beyond basic remote access. One of the main benefits of this app is that it also includes online collaboration capabilities, so not only can you access your office computer from anywhere, but you can also work with your team as if you were right in the office. It also stands out because the app is free for personal use.