The Bottom Line
The Plustek OpticSlim M12 Plus document scanner is a great addition to your laptop accessory list. You can scan photos and documents right up to Legal/A4 size. Another nice feature is the OpticSlim M12 Plus doesn't need an outside power source, so it is handy in a vehicle office. Scan anywhere and anytime.
- Very lightweight.
- Scans documents up to 8.5" x 11.69" / A4.
- No external power required.
- Wall mount and desktop holder included.
- Economically priced.
- Scans one side at time.
- Scanned pages may be crooked if not lined up properly.
- Maximum scanning resolution is 600 dpi.
- USB 1.1 connection.
- 2 Button operation - Scan and Custom
- Scans to .jpg and .pdf.
- Includes USB cable, carry pouch, wall mount kit, desktop holder, cleaning & calibration sheets.
- Software: NewSoft Presto! PageManager 6, NewSoft Presto! ImageFolio 4, ABBYY FineReader 5.0 Sprint.
- Min. System Needed: Pentium CPU, USB Port, 64 MB RAM, 160 MB HDD, MS Windows XP, Me, 98, 2000.
- Maximum Scanning Resolution: 600 dpi with 48bit input.
- Dimensions: 1.3" x 10.8" x 1.9" (HWD).
- Weight: 0.7 pounds.
Guide Review - Plustek OpticSlim M12 Plus
- You connect the USB connection to your laptop.
- Then to the scanner.
- The software is installed after you are connected.
The choice of software is okay, aimed at scanning images rather than documents. I would rather see a choice offered for the software included, so mobile professionals could have the option to select software which will be best for their needs. The software versions aren't the most recent that you can purchase but will get you up and running.
I really like how light the scanner is, just 0.7 pounds and it fits quite nicely into any of my laptop bags. If you decide to use the wall mount kit or desktop stand, you won't have to worry about losing desktop real estate. The bottom of the desktop stand opens to provide a storage space for the USB cable.
You can scan to either an image file or .pdf file. Within the ScanMaster software program you can change the preferences for the Scan and Custom button, from the type of scan you want saved to the location where it will be saved.
You need to hold the page/photo to be scanned until it has been completely caught by the scanner or the end result will be crooked.
Even though this scanner can only scan one side at a time, it doesn't take long to scan both sides of a page.
The results were quite good and I was more than pleased with how well the Plustek OpticSlim M12 operated.
It's a great addition to your mobile gear and easy to take anywhere.