The Bottom Line
- Can be used with a variety of file formats.
- Provides alternatives for presenting data.
- Does not require laptop.
- Compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
- Ultra-compact and quiet.
- Some users have found transfer speeds to be slow.
- USB hard drive that plugs into TVs, VCRs, cable boxes or satellite tuners with an AV cable.
- Dimensions (WxDxH) 5.5" x 3.5" x 1.1". Weight 9.5 oz.
- Play variety of files MPEG-1 video, VOB movie parts, AVI movie files, DVD movies in ISO-image format
- MPEG-4 DivX or Xvid movies; MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC (Windows, not Apple) & AC3 audio files; & JPEG files.
- Draws power via the USB cable when used with your computer.
- When attached to a TV, it runs off a mini-USB to an AC power adapter (the unit has no AC jack).
- USB pass-through adapter with both a mini-USB port and a normal USB port on the output side.
- OS MS Win XP, MS Win 2000, MS Win ME, MS Win 98 SE, Apple Mac OS 9.x, Apple Mac OS X 10.x.
- Output is scalable to 1,920x1,080i or 1,280x720p.
- Available in 40GB or 80GB capacity.
Guide Review - LaCie Silverscreen 40GB
The LaCie Silverscreen review unit I recieved included the 40GB drive, Infrared TV remote control, Power adapter, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable (USB 1.1 compatible), SCART (Peritel) adapter, Composite A/V cable, LaCie silverscreen Utilities CD-ROM and Silverkeeper software for easy backup on Mac OS.
The print documentation includes basic instructions to set up the drive and connect to your computer. If you plan to use this with a television, I suggest printing the User Manual included on the CD-ROM in advance for handy reference.
The drive is pre-configured with folders - Firmware, Music, Movies and Pictures. Within those folders you can create your own directories which makes it easy to keep all your data organized. Simply drag and drop your files into the appropriate folder on the LaCie Silverscreen.
I found that LaCie Silverscreen easy to use and had no problems transferring files, even using USB 1.1 ports. While other reviews have mentioned that the transfer speeds were slower than expected I did not find this to be true even with large files.
The ability to use the LaCie Silverscreen with a television for presentations is a great boon for mobile professionals, you don't even need to use your laptop. The drive connects directly to the TV and with the included remote you can control the display. It certainly beats trying to show a large group of people a presentation on a laptop display.
The LaCie Silverscreen is a great mobile accesory for a variety of mobile professionals.