Try to write the proposal from your employer's perspective and answer any questions or concerns about your not being physically at the office.
The remote work proposal should include:
- Description of the proposed work plan, with details on length of the plan and proposed trial period: E.g., "I would like to explore the possibility of performing my duties as Web Developer from my home office for three days a week. I propose that we can do a three-month trial telecommuting arrangement starting on March 1st and then evaluate continuing that work arrangement based on my productivity and quality of work."
- Reason for the request, if suitable: If there are pressing reasons why you need to work from home, go ahead and mention them. Don’t feel, however, that you need to make up a reason.
- Advantages to the department and company: State how telecommuting will be beneficial to the company (cost savings, increased employee productivity, and greater employee morale). Reinforce how you have been a valuable staff member and that you believe you can maintain or even increase your productivity and work quality from home, where there are fewer distractions. If your company already has an existing telecommuting policy, incorporate facts about it here.
- Proposed schedule and plan for communication: Indicate whether your current schedule will stay the same or not and any effect it may have on workflow. E.g., note if you will be in the office on days when regular meetings tend to happen or if you will be available for meetings on other days in person or via conferencing technologies. Specify that you will still be available from home during regular business hours for keeping in touch with your supervisor, co-workers, and customers.
- Work address description, location, and phone number: Describe your remote workspace (include how it ensures privacy and allows freedom from interruptions). Provide the location address and phone number(s) where you will be reachable.
- Equipment and resources: Outline your current equipment setup or what may be needed to be provided from the company. E.g., "My home office is fully-equipped with everything needed to perform my job efficiently and effectively: broadband Internet access, computer, and second telephone line. I propose to use the company's established VPN setup to connect to my office desktop and transfer files securely over this network." Include any particular hardware or software needed for your specific job duties.
- Additional assurances: Include any additional facts about your job that are suited particularly well to telecommuting and how you plan to stay productive and accountable (e.g., emailing weekly status reports, availability through IM, etc.).
More:: See Sample Telecommuting Agreements from the University of Michigan for some inspiration