1. Computing
Melanie Pinola

Unlocking Your Cell Phone Is Now Illegal; Here's How to Vote Against This

By January 28, 2013

As of January 26, 2013, it's illegal in the US to unlock your phone without your mobile carrier's permission. Unlocking your cell phone means you can use it on any wireless provider, but it's useful for more than just switching carriers. If you want to sell your used phone to someone else or travel internationally with your cell phone and avoid hefty data roaming fees, you'll want to unlock your phone.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA) had an exemption that permitted cell phone unlocking, but the Library of Congress and US Copyright Office have let that exemption expire...which means unlocking your phone is now a crime--even after their contracts have expired, subject to fines of $200 to $2,500 or higher criminal penalties including jail time. The full legal docket is here and ITworld has a nice overview of the issues here.

As with jailbreaking and rooting, unlocking your phone gives you more control over it. I personally think that this unlocking ban is terrible for mobile users, especially global travelers. If you agree, join this petition to make unlocking cell phones legal. We need 100,000 signatures by February 23.

(By the way, in the news you might see writers saying that unlocking/jailbreaking is now illegal, but the two terms are actually very different. Unlocking is different from jailbreaking and rooting--here's how.)

Related: Free your Android phone or iPhone by unlocking and/or jailbreaking/rooting it

Stay on top of the latest in mobile computing, telecommuting, and working on the road: Free weekly newsletter | Blog posts subscription | Follow me on Twitter: @melaniepinola or Google+

Comments
February 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm
(1) auto rental says:

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it
was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for newbie blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

February 11, 2013 at 2:39 am
(2) Denise Lee says:

If this illegal issue bothers you, and you want to have the option to be able to unlock a device you believe you paid for and own, then sign this official Petition and pass it along:

There’s still time! 12 days left to get 100,000 minimum signatures.. At present, there is 60,000 sigs.. Please pass this petition link around to help make a difference!

May 28, 2013 at 5:33 am
(3) free pub quiz answers says:

The decor on the inside of the restaurant is absolutely beautiful.
*Rounds table format. Her father, Bruce Paltrow, produced the critically acclaimed TV series that is considered the precursor
to many medical shows today, St.

October 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(4) factoryunlockingservice.com says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I
could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience
with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

October 2, 2013 at 9:44 am
(5) v2 cigs says:

Hi to every single one, it’s genuinely a good for me
to visit this web page, it consists of important Information.

November 15, 2013 at 10:44 am
(6) unlock mobile phones iphone 5c vs 5s vs 5 says:

Incredible story there. What happened after?
Take care!

Also visit my bpog – <a href=”http://vernonesquivel.beeplog.com/419128_2329915.htm”>unlock mobile phones iphone 5c vs 5s vs 5</a>

February 15, 2014 at 5:04 am
(7) House Clearance says:

My spouse annd I stumbled over here by a divferent page and thought
I may as welol check things out. I like what I see so now i
am following you. Look forward to checking out your webb pagge again.

March 21, 2014 at 3:04 am
(8) Travel Charger says:

Hi there! This blog post coulԀ not be written ɑny better!

Going through thіs post reminds
mе оf my previous roommate!
Ңе continually ҝept preaching about tҺіs.
І ѡill send tҺіs
іnformation tо hіm.
Fairly сertain hе’s going to Һave a ɡood read.
Τhanks fоr sharing!

Feel free tο surf t&omicron; my web-site: <a href=”http://www.iwalkusa.com/”>Travel Charger</a>

April 2, 2014 at 8:09 am
(9) how to root android says:

Top Free of charge Apps to Assist You Optimize Gasoline Efficiency – Cellular telephones
are 1 of the lifelines to existing civilization but if you nonetheless can’t link to other
people due to the fact you don’t have the luxurious of funds
to make calls, then you’re even now left out. Another option is to confirm
that your Android tablet has a low level of user security.
Dynamic Android applications add a new dimension to business operations becoming the
medium of sales, client service or business promotion.

My web page; <a href=”http://youtube.com/watch?v=vW2SF3qYPeU”>how to root android</a>