- People who telework two days a week save about 200 hours a year from not commuting (study participants saved 2 hours each telework from commuting -- an average of 50 miles roundtrip to their offices)
- This translates to a $3,439 annual raise, if you think of time as money
- If all full-time salary workers teleworked just 2 days a week, we'd save the environment 143 million tons of pollutants
- The teleworkers themselves would save $215 billion in commuting costs (gas, wear and tear, maintenance, etc.)
Benefits for employers were also reinforced and demonstrated, as organizations reported a more satisfied workforce and other benefits during Telework Week 2011:
- Improved employee work/life balance
- Increased morale/employee satisfaction
- Increased employee productivity
- Improved business continuity
- Improved understanding of telework best practices
Who doesn't like saving time, saving money, better productivity, and greater work satisfaction? Here's hoping more companies catch on to the benefits of telecommuting.
Check out the full study results, learn how telecommuting is good for the environment, or, if you're an employee, find out how to get your employer to let you work from home. Even 2 days a week is like getting a nice bonus.