1. Computing
Pam has left a comment asking whether removing her laptop battery will correct a problem with her laptop. Her keyboard has frozen and she's looking for ideas.

If you have a solution or know how to correct this, please let Pam know and leave a comment for her.

Comments
May 9, 2006 at 12:29 am
(1) Scott Heidenreich says:

Removing your laptop battery may solve the problem for a short time but it is not the long term solution you have either a hardware problem (Memory , power, or heat). Or a software problem driver, virus and or spyware.

I would need more information to help you any further please e-mail me with the make of your laptop and model if you can locate it.
It would also be help if you would give me a more in depth description of the problem. Are the keys sticking or are you just unable to type.

November 1, 2006 at 1:27 am
(2) jaime ross says:

i have a similar issue
Toshiba Satellite M35-s359 laptop
HN key types an n, the $F key types the dollar sign and the keyboard freezes.
replaced the hard drive – the geek squad said that a worm called ufp matewatcher was the problem –
A technician said that they keyboard didn’t have a short
so what could be the problem?

November 9, 2006 at 2:08 pm
(3) joel bell says:

keyboard is frozen so when I Shut down on the next start I can not get the del key or the shift f10 key will not let me into the set-up. Avertec Model No. 3360
Dave Bell

September 30, 2008 at 10:14 am
(4) Mikko says:

I have a similar problem with my acer 2420 travelmate. When I use the arrow keys the keyboard will just freeze and I could type anything. I usually encounter this problem when my laptop is super hot. So I’m sure it is heat related. I tried to trigger the freeze when it is not so hot, and it wouldn’t freeze. also, when I restart the PC when it’s hot, the keyboard would hang even during the bios boot (couldn’t enter setup). But once it cools down I could start normally.

December 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm
(5) Kels says:

Hi, I just got a new HP laptop for christmas, it has virus software installed & everything, I’ve used it for 3 days and all of a sudden I turned it on this morning and the keyboard wont work. I cant type anything at all. What could be the problem? My dad is going to flip out if the brand new laptop he bought already has a problem! Will warranty cover this?

January 2, 2009 at 10:51 am
(6) Jeff says:

Kels:

I had exactly the same problem with my HP tablet laptop. I contacted HP support. The problem of a frozen keyboard is caused, if you shut down the computer when it is in tablet mode. (Tablet mode means that the screen has been rotated and laid flat.)

Here is how to fix the problem:

1. Set the laptop in tablet mode and shutdown.
2. Disconnect the AC adapter
3. Take out the battery for 10sec
4. Put battery back in
5. Connect AC power
6. Turn screen from tablet mode to normal mode.
7. Boot as normal

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jeff

March 29, 2009 at 8:06 am
(7) james williams says:

im having same problem,thinking of reinstalling xp,if it wont void warrenty,xp professional already in it.[compaq n600c].mouse ,keys stuck,exept f buttons are operational until home screen appears.